Saturday 26 July 2014

Soaked in the Rain

The long lasted wait is over with the Rain God showering his blessing on us. The thirst of mother earth being satisfied after a long dreadful summer, the atmosphere is cool with rejuvenating songs of birds and greenery, it feels like heaven.

The mesmerizing view of Mt. Girnar covered by dark clouds is soothing my eyes, the melody of birds pleasing my ears, the fresh aroma of wet land thrilling my nose, the sweet rain drops feeling my lips and the cool breeze touching my body. I love this season- the season of RAIN. It refreshes the body and mind, activates all senses, and gives peace to our soul.

With the rain outside, I sat by the side of my window with a mug of hot coffee (I guess the best way to enjoy rain and many of you do the same). My phone is overloaded with social media notifications about the rain and people enjoying it. Things have changed a lot in past few years as it forces me to go down the lanes of childhood memories and I bet each one of us does go through these lanes at least once during this season.

Courtesy: Google Images  
I remember…

The pre monsoon preparations of getting latest designed umbrellas, raincoats of your favorite cartoon character even though we were never going to use them.

The games we played changed according to the season, cricket was given a rest and Gilli- Danda, Marbles, etc. was on.

Looking up at the sky and seeing those dark clouds arrive; we used to prepare ourselves for the rain. (Today we check our smart phones for the weather updates…!!!)

Making paper boats and putting them in the waters flowing through the streets to see whose boat survives, made us feel like engineers.

Dancing, splashing water and sliding on the terrace floor. Closing the water outlet pipes of terrace with our t-shirts and making it a mini swimming pool.

Standing tall against heavy/fast rain and feeling as if we are standing on the border and facing enemy bullets.

When a big thunder used to strike, one of us would challenge the Rain God, saying “bring it on, we are not scared, we won’t get down to our houses”.

After some time when the rain slows and is about to stop, the same person would beg to the Rain God, saying “Sorry God, please rain for 5 more minutes and we promise we will get down”. And then the joy gets double if the rain lashes hard with wind, we feel as if our wish has been granted.

We would look at rain falling on the floor; the droplets that rose from ground were hit down by pouring droplets from the sky. This would make us imagine some fierce fight for survival was on.

After the rains, it’s time for some hot snacks- the “bhajiyas and pakoras” with Bournvita and play some indoor games like snakes and ladders, ludo, etc.

Looking at the droplets racing on the window glass and cheering for your favorite drop to win was nothing less than a Formula One F1 race for us.

One would wait for ages under the leaking ceiling roof for a drop to fall so that he can hit it with a scale or stick and feels like hitting Malinga for six with a helicopter shot…

I already had my last sip of coffee with tears rolling down smiling cheeks. I can’t wait more. I am closing my laptop, shutting my phone and if you wish you could join me, out there to get Soaked in the Rain. 

2 comments:

  1. Nice tribute to rain. We are waiting for the rain god to bless Delhi. Seems he is angry with us all in the capital :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... Nice to hear from you. Hope Delhi soon gets blessed and the capital gets Soaked in the Rain. :)

      Delete